Don’t get me wrong, I love my husband and I enjoy getting spoiled on Valentines Day just as much as the next person (seriously I’m not going to say no to fresh flowers and chocolate.) I may even be that girl that says she doesn’t need flowers and secretly hates when he doesn’t get me flowers (like, do you even know me?!) We even cook a nice dinner together and might even light a candle or two while we enjoy it. What I’m getting at here is that I’m not anti-valentines day by any means. I’m just pro give me an excuse for a party and champagne and my ladies!
I think GALentines is brilliant (how the hell didn’t I think of that!?) There’s not enough days out there to celebrate the beauty of a great gal-pal. Listen, I’m even pro MALEntines Day. Please, go, celebrate your cute little bromance and I’ll stay home with Ben & Jerry and full charge of the TV remote. It’s so healthy for a relationship to spend time apart and with your friends. It’s what keeps us as separate human beings and not just some weird merge of two people (i.e. Brangelina, and look what happened to them…)
Last night I had some of my closest girlfriends over to celebrate and celebrate we did. To be able to catch up with them while drinking fun champagne cocktails, surrounded by pink decorations and snacking on dessert inspired “charcuterie” was magical. It truly felt like we were being celebrated and that can sometimes be exactly what we all need. It was a night off from our ordinary lives, spent laughing and cheers-ing over stories and I can’t wait to do it with them all again.
It’s not too late to start planning your GALentine’s Day party for Friday night! I have a few tips that will help you flawlessly throw the perfect ladies night and it will be so easy that your hardest task will be figuring out how to get your man out of the house. Put your lipstick on, pour that glass of champagne, and grab your bitches!
- Cute, Flirty Decor: I always love any excuse to break out my letter board. You can put a movie quote, a song lyric, something pun-y…I decided to go with “Happy GALentines Day, Babes,” but even a simple “XOXO” would do the trick. Use your food and drink as decor, too! It’s easy to put your snacks on a cute cheeseboard or colored dishes and to display liquor bottles on a cake plate and buy flavored seltzers that coordinate to the theme. I put our dessert “charcuterie” on a wooden cheeseboard and the chocolate & vanilla frosting in little pink bowls from Anthropologie. I displayed my wine & Champagne bottles in a boho fringe basket (Target) and purchased strawberry seltzers (pink & red can, duh…) I also purchased cute pink fruit baskets off Amazon for $3 to put some odds & ends in and found heart and GALentine’s cocktail napkins at Target. I finished it off with candles and a strand of fairy lights because they’re just so dang sparkly.
- Fun Food: The first rule of fun food is that is should be low maintenance. Sweating your ass off in the kitchen and being left with a mountain of dishes doesn’t sound very fun! And don’t forget that take-out is 110% acceptable for evenings like this. I decided on pizza for my group of jersey girls, but another cute idea would be a tray of Chick-Fil-A for all your chicks…I mean YOU GET IT, RIGHT? I also did super easy cheeseboard of just triple creme brie, prosciutto and apricot jam. The star of the show was a dessert themed “charcuterie” that consisted of pineapple & strawberries, churro flavored rice crispies, pretzel crisps, teddy grahams, waffle cookies, and some fancy marshmallows (brand is smash mallow.) We dipped all the goodies in some melted chocolate and some funfetti icing (adult Dunkaroos, anyone!?) You could easily set up an ice cream bar or put out some store-bought baked goods, too.
- Good Music: Women love to sing and dance. It’s a thing. A fun throwback playlist is perfect for this occasion.
- Chick-Flick: If your girl gang is done with the dance party or you’re more of a meek and mild group, you can never go wrong with a good Rom-Com. Netflix & chill with “How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days” or “Pretty Woman,” just to name a few.
- Happy Valentine’s, GALentine’s, MALEntines, whatever day it may be, I hope you celebrate love not only on this day, but everyday of the year. Cheers, babes!